September 1, 2009

Derby della Madonnina



This wouldn't be MY blog if I failed to mention what went down this past Saturday.

FC Internazionale, or Inter Milan, squared off against their city rivals AC Milan in the 200th edition of the Derby della Madonnina.

Translated for American audiences: it's a game between two of the biggest soccer teams in the world that's been played twice a year for the last 100 years. And just to make things a little more tense, the two teams have shared the same stadium for the last 62 of those years.

This game has moved beyond rivalry to a spectacle that catches the attention of the entire world of football.

With the series tied at 37 wins apiece, the stage was set for a colossal clash.

Inter got the memo. Milan didn't.

It took Inter 6 minutes to get their first shot on goal. It took Milan over 60.

What resulted was an ass kicking of a magnitude that Milan hadn't suffered in 11 years.

All of this comes after a transfer window where Inter sold one of the top 5 players in the world and still came out on top.

And for that all I can say is: Grazie Moratti. Grazie Mourinho. Grazie Nerazzurri.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I will keep this one on the DVR for some time. I still have 0-4 against Roma from last year. Sigh, good times.

Vinod said...

I love Scarpini, the excitement he brings to commentary is just infectious! I wonder if any network here has Inter Channel. I highly doubt it.

Unknown said...

"A goal! A goalgoalgoalgoal!"

andrew said...

ah yes inter won this one but what happens when they face Ibra in his new digs?